Skip to main content

Could it be ME?!

Ever felt like, "I'm always arguing with so and so" or "Every time I get near her/him, I just get angry and can't control my attitude". I used to wonder why I was always "going off" on someone. Was I really THAT angry? Was I really telling it like it was? My excuse was always, " Oh, Honey, they NEEDED to be told! They were asking for it!" I later realized that I was just acting off of emotion and not being very wise. I came across a bible verse Proverbs 10:19 When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise. I wanted to be wise! lol There are going to be times where we feel angry or upset and want to release those emotions by saying a lot of words. Whenever I feel that I am about to get to that point there are two steps that I take to help me to focus on the bigger picture 1. I take a deep breath and close my eyes ( may sound cliche' but it works, you'll see in later posts how important breathing is!) 2. I say to myself, "This is only temporary, it will not last forever" ( I sometimes have to repeat this several times lol) Realizing that what is angering you right then at the moment is temporary, is very powerful and the key to getting past it. Sometimes we focus too much on the issue rather than focus on how we were feeling before we became angry/upset and how we CAN feel after we get pass these emotions. Learning to control my tongue was not easy and I still struggle, however, I am learning that silence is powerful. It can speak your disapproval louder than any words can! We always want to put our best foot forward (don't we? YES!), holding your tongue may not be easy but it is necessary. We have to realize that it is not always the other person, sometimes it's US! We have to take a good hard look at ourselves. If we want to become better people, we have to do the work! So the next time you find yourself becoming angry/upset and your mind is going and your tongue starts to feel like its about to have a mind of its own; just breathe...it's only temporary!


Xo,
Shonie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What do you want?!

Hey my loves!! How are you?! :-) I hope you're doing well! I wanted to ask you a question,  kinda make you think for a moment.... what do you want? What do you want out of life,  relationships,  love,  yourself,  others? What do you want? Iyanla Vanzant (one of my favorites) wrote,  "Very often,  we only have chaos in our lives because we don't know what we want. By default,  uncertainty attracts uneasiness. " This statement was very powerful to me because it spoke to the uneasiness I was feeling at that present moment.  I did not know what I wanted... out of ANYTHING! I had a clue or an inkling but nothing solid. I needed to figure out what I wanted and make it plain, to myself and others. By me not knowing how to or what to do to figure out exactly what I wanted,  caused so much confusion in my life.  Unnecessary arguments and unnecessary headaches.  I had to take the time to sit down and figure out what I wanted.  Grant...

Birds of a feather

Hello loves!!!! It's been such a long time!! I feel like I haven't blogged in forever!! I have been so busy!! School, work, and practicum this summer kept me very busy! I have to figure out a good time for me to blog and actually do it (time management, I need to work on that lol).   Today I want to talk about your space and the people you allow in it. Over the past few weeks, I've done some reflecting over many different topics and one of them was my space and who I allow in my space. Now, I'm not talking about people I'm around at work or at school, but people who I actually have a choice in whether or not I hang with them. There are people who motivate you and bring out the best in you, there are those who only feed the negative parts in you (yes, we all have some negativeness about ourselves; gossiping, hating, bullying, etc. those parts.), and those that bring nothing out of you...they aren't helping or hurting so there's no growth.  It's very impor...

Major Love, Volume I

Hello my loves!! Today I want to talk about relationships. You know, love/romantic relationships. Aren't they fun?! Um, yeah!! Well, I believe that fun is one of the main requirements. The beginning of a relationship can be tricky. There's so much to learn...so much to feel. *Sigh* Today I wanted to focus on communication. Side note: I believe communication is VITAL, it can mean life OR death for a relationship. Alright, so communication is the key that will set the tone of the relationship. There is a real art to this communicating thing. Most times we don't know how to talk to one another to effectively communicate what we think or how we feel. I found this guideline to be very helpful to help me communicate or talk things out... 1. Only ONE person talks at a time. (No interrupting, can't hear the other person talk if you are) 2. Really listen to the person speaking, when they finish you say, "So, what I'm hearing you say is...". (This lets them know tha...